Cole backs Falcao to find form

first_img United thought they had pulled off one of the biggest coups of the summer transfer window last year when they beat stiff competition to sign Falcao from Monaco on a season-long loan, with the option of a £43.2million permanent deal at the end of it. Falcao was regarded as one of the best strikers in the world when he joined United. Press Association They have already snapped up another prolific scorer in PSV Eindhoven forward Memphis Depay, who will get a taste of English life on Wednesday when he takes part in a promotional appearance in London. The 21-year-old Dutch forward, who has scored 22 league goals this term, is expected to have his medical some time after PSV’s final league game of the season on Sunday before completing his £25million move to Old Trafford. Cole, who scored 121 goals for United, says any decision to allow Falcao to leave could backfire. “I don’t know whether United will keep him. The powers that be are considering it,” Cole said. “If he doesn’t stay here next year and he goes somewhere else, he will score goals. “You don’t stop scoring goals because you have an injury or whatever. “It might take a little bit longer to recover from the injury but once you get injured it doesn’t mean you stop. “He will score goals wherever. If he doesn’t stay here he will definitely do that.” Falcao has only started 13 Barclays Premier League matches this year. According to his mother Carmenza Zarate, the striker has reluctantly accepted his situation under Louis van Gaal at Old Trafford. “Although it’s hard not to be a starter, he has to accept the coach’s decision,” she told Colombian newspaper El Espectador. “We have to respect Van Gaal as a coach and his methods. “I don’t think what he is doing to Falcao is anything personal because the same is happening to Angel di Maria and Robin van Persie. “It’s his way of working and you have to respect that.” :: Andrew Cole is one of a number of former stars taking part in the Manchester United Legends v Bayern Munich AllStars match on June 14 at Old Trafford. Tickets on sale now from www.manutd.com/legendsareback Adnan Januzaj improved his chances of a first-team recall on Tuesday night when he starred in United’s Under-21 victory over local rivals Manchester City. The Belgian has not started a first-team game since February 11 but he put on a show-stopping display for the second string at Old Trafford in the 4-0 win, which came in front of 16,708 people. Januzaj set up James Wilson with an incisive 40-yard pass for United’s opener. The 20-year-old then doubled United’s lead, firing a curling shot past Angus Dunn after beating two City players in the box. The Belgian received a standing ovation when he was substituted in the 73rd minute. He walked straight down the tunnel, but there was no sign he was suffering from an injury. Ashley Fletcher and Matthew Willock rounded off the win for Warren Joyce’s men late on. The 29-year-old is Colombia’s highest-scorer of all time. He scored 70 goals during two seasons at Atletico Madrid and two more over the same length of time at Porto, but this season he has found the net on four occasions in 28 appearances for United. Cole thinks Falcao’s poor season should be regarded as an anomaly that is down to his injury struggles, rather than a sign that his best years are behind him. “I look at Falcao and I still think he is a quality player,” the former striker told Press Association Sport at an event to promote the United Legends v Bayern Munich AllStars game, which takes place next month at Old Trafford. “If you look at his movement and what he has done for his national team, you know he scores goals. “His record before coming here was phenomenal, absolutely ridiculous. “I know he has had an indifferent time since coming to Manchester United and everyone is saying he can’t score goals any more, but no – it isn’t like that. “He has not got as many as he would have liked when he came to Manchester United. But that doesn’t mean he is a bad player. He is far from a bad player.” It seems unlikely that United will pay such a huge sum to acquire a player who has performed so poorly this season. Andrew Cole expects Radamel Falcao to return to his prolific best next year – whether that be at Manchester United or elsewhere. last_img read more

Ordega, Ebere Boost Falcons ahead Slovakia Clash

first_imgSuper Falcons “Now, we have all players here finally. Ngozi Ebere arrived today (Thursday) and Ordega (Francisca) arrived last night so they couldn’t be in the first game,” said the Swede to www.aclsports.comNow that everybody is here, we hope that everybody is fit so we can try to bring out a really good team against Belgium on Monday. Of course we’ll bring out a good team tomorrow (Friday) also but we can’t play the best players four games in a row because we are in preparation times,” added Dennerby.Reigning African champions Nigeria will face Slovakia in their second group game this morning (11am Nigerian time) at the Antonis Papadopoulos Stadium in Larnaca, Cyprus.Just like Nigeria who lost 1-4 to Austria in their opening game on Wednesday, Slovakia also lost 3-0 to Belgium in the group’s first game. The Super Falcons’ first loss could however easily be hinged on goalkeeper Tochukwu Oluehi’s fifth minute dismissal against the Austrians.FRIDAY FIXTURESFinland vs Czech RepublicThailand vs MexicoSlovakia vs NigeriaSouth Africa vs Korea DPRHungary vs ItalyAustria vs BelgiumShare this:FacebookRedditTwitterPrintPinterestEmailWhatsAppSkypeLinkedInTumblrPocketTelegram CYPRUS WOMEN’S CUPNigeria’s senior women national team; the Super Falcons received a boost ahead of their clash with Slovakia today in the Cyprus Women’s Cup following the arrival of star attacker Francisca Ordega and left back Ngozi Ebere to the team’s campBoth players missed Wednesday’s annihilation in the hands of Russia in Larnaca but team’s Head Coach Thomas Dennerby confirmed yesterday afternoon that they have now joined up with the rest of their teammates.last_img read more

Murphy to be offered QPR coaching role – report

first_imgThe Daily Mail suggest QPR are to offer Fulham’s veteran midfielder Danny Murphy a future coaching role in a bid to tempt him to sign for them.Murphy, whose contract expires in the summer, played under Rangers boss Mark Hughes when the Welshman was manager at Craven Cottage.Meanwhile, Juventus have again been linked with Salomon Kalou and Raul Meireles.Kalou to Italy?The Daily Mirror report that Juve sporting director Fabio Paratici watched the Chelsea duo in action against Barcelona and was also at Stamford Bridge for the Blues’ Champions League quarter-final win over Benfica.Kalou, whose contract expires at the end of the season, is said to have also attracted interest from AC Milan.The Mirror also report that Chelsea owner Roman Abramovich remains determined to offload the club’s senior players despite their recent performances.It is claimed whoever takes over as manager will be under orders to ship out the likes of Didier Drogba, Frank Lampard and Ashley Cole as part of a long-term rebuilding job.The Independent say Drogba has told Chelsea he does not want to discuss his future until the end of the season.Follow West London Sport on TwitterFind us on Facebooklast_img read more

‘Playing against men’ helping QPR youngster Furlong develop

first_imgQPR youngster Darnell Furlong believes his loan spell at Northampton will aid his development.The 19-year-old right-back has played seven times for the Cobblers, who are unbeaten in the league since he joined last month.His deal has been extended for a further month and Furlong says regular first-team football in League Two is better for him than playing for Rangers’ Under-21s.He said: “Instead of playing against people my age and a little bit younger, I’m playing against men who have been in the game for a long time now.“The team have been great. On the pitch, they’re always talking and giving me pointers. It’s a great experience.“For me personally it’s been a learning curve. I’ve been doing alright, I’ve enjoyed it and I’m going to continue to.”Furlong, the son of former Rangers forward Paul, has featured once for QPR’s first team this season, in the League Cup defeat at home to Carlisle.He made his senior debut against Hull City last season and has made a total of four first-team appearances for the R’s so far.See also:QPR’s Furlong makes loan moveNorthampton keen to extend Furlong loanLoan deals for two QPR youngstersFollow West London Sport on TwitterFind us on Facebooklast_img read more

Matt Millen film a spine-tingler even though we know how everything turned out

first_imgWe all know how Matt Millen’s health crisis turned out. And through hindsight comes certainty after the fact. Of course a donor heart turned up on Christmas eve. Of course the transplant was a success. Of course Millen is getting back to his old life and his old self.The part we were able to observe looking in from the outside was about as reassuring as an impending heart transplant can be. The stoic pragmatism from Millen, who won Super Bowls as a member of the Raiders and 49ers. The fact he …last_img read more

When faced with the challenge of finding a new job for our military family members, Cooperative Extension is here to help.

first_imgWe all live in a fast-changing world, especially our military families who move three times more frequently than non-military families. Each moves means starting all over again for military spouses and military youth, causing the challenge of finding a new job for our military family members.According to National Military Family Association, the military unemployment rate is four times higher than the current veteran unemployment rate of 3.7%. In efforts to lower the military spouse unemployment rate, the Department of Labor recently launched a new website which was formally unveiled at the White House on June 28th, 2018: https://www.veterans.gov/milspouses/.Cooperative Extension is an organization that is here to help with this challenge too. In an effort to help our military families thrive in their communities and build economic resilience, the Cooperative Extension has resources to help support not only our military spouses when looking for a new job, but also for our military youth as they prepare for their first job.Click on each of our pilot states to see how their Cooperative Extension can help:FloridaIndianaMinnesotaMississippiNew MexicoOklahomalast_img read more

Convicted killer Dellen Millard to stand trial in death of father

first_imgTORONTO – Wayne Millard was found dead in his bed in November 2012 — a bullet lodged in his brain.The death of the 71-year-old wealthy businessman was initially ruled a suicide. Two years later, police charged his son, Dellen Millard, with first-degree murder.The 32-year-old, who is serving two consecutive life sentences for two separate murders, has pleaded not guilty to the charge.As Dellen Millard’s murder trial gets underway Thursday, family members say they’re struggling to make sense of the ordeal.“I’m sick over all this,” said Peter Roberts, who remembered his cousin Wayne Millard as a generous, caring man.Roberts recalled asking the elder Millard for help when his ailing mother wanted to spend her final days in her own home. His cousin paid nearly $100,000 for round-the-clock care for about a year, Roberts said.“It was such a delight to talk to him,” he said. “All of a sudden I have a guy to go to talk to, like a mentor. Then he’s gone.”Wayne Millard was the owner of Millardair, an aviation company based near Waterloo, Ont., that he inherited from his father.According to court documents and pre-trial motions, it was Dellen Millard who found his father’s body in the home the two shared in Toronto’s west end on Nov. 29, 2012. He then called his mother, Madeleine Burns — his parents had separated in 1990 and divorced in 1996 — and told her Wayne Millard was dead, court documents show.Burns went to the house and then called 911, court documents show.In May 2013, months after friends and family had gathered to remember Wayne Millard, his son was arrested for the murder of Tim Bosma, of Hamilton, who disappeared after leaving his house with two men who asked to test drive a truck he posted for sale online.Soon after Dellen Millard’s arrest, police reopened the case of his father’s death. They still had the gun that was found beside his bed, court has heard. They tested the gun and found Dellen Millard’s DNA on the handle, court documents show. Last year, a gun trafficker pleaded guilty to selling Dellen Millard the revolver.In 2016, Dellen Millard and his friend, Mark Smich, were found guilty of first-degree murder in Bosma’s death and received life sentences. The jury heard that the pair killed Bosma and burned his body in an animal incinerator.Millard and Smich were also later convicted — and sentenced to life — in the murder of Laura Babcock, a young Toronto woman who vanished in the summer of 2012 and whose case was also reopened by police following Millard’s arrest in Bosma’s disappearance.Millard’s third murder trial will be in front of a judge alone. Ontario’s attorney general agreed the man’s notoriety would make it difficult to find fair jurors, thus granting the rare request to hold a first-degree murder trial without a jury.Millard’s defence, according to court documents, will be that his father killed himself. A portion of the trial is expected to focus on Wayne Millard’s state of mind at the time of his death.The elder Millard loved aviation and animals.In 1982, just days after he was arrested for filming baby seals being clubbed to death, he flew a small crew back into the area to get onto the ice near the beaches of P.E.I.Wayne Millard had the means — a plane, a helicopter and money to burn — for the venture. He and Burns, who would later become his wife, were making a film about the seal hunt with the help of Sea Shepherd Conservation Society founder Paul Watson.“He was very incensed about the seal hunt,” Watson said. “He stuck to his ground and didn’t give in. He was persistent, passionate and he was dedicated.”Wayne Millard was a longtime Air Canada pilot before getting involved with Millardair. He once sued Air Canada because they suspended him for growing his hair too long, said Dennis Chadala, who wrote a book about his years with Millardair.“Wayne was a kind man who trained me on many different kinds of planes and we had a kinship in that we were banded together in order to handle his father, Carl, who was a real tough boss,” Chadala said. “But he was also a rabble-rouser.”After his father died in 2006, Wayne Millard took over Millardair, but the company wasn’t doing well. He embarked on a project to transform Millardair into a maintenance, repair and overhaul operation and secured a massive hangar at the Region of Waterloo International Airport. He told others, including his cousin Roberts, that he was doing it so his son could run it one day.Shortly after Wayne Millard was found dead, his son fired everyone at Millardair and wound the business down.In an obituary published in the Toronto Star in 2012, Dellen Millard called his dad a generous man.“His hope was for a time when co-operation would be the norm and competition was only friendly,” he wrote. “He was patient and stubborn … He believed animal welfare was a humanitarian effort. He was a good man in a careless world. He was my father.”last_img read more